Monday, October 5, 2009

On the importance of sending good video...

Ahh the "video link thread." This is the bane of modern corporate existence. I get, joke-free, on the magnitude of 500 emails on a light day. The ability to sift through emails is one of those untaught corporate skills that, if never grasped, can sink a career. At a glance you need to know which emails are important, which can be ignored, which need to be dealt with immediately, and which can quietly go down the stack until other issues are dealt with. Which is why, faithful readers, I seriously hate youtube links. True, your mom might think a video of two newborn kittens is utterly precious, but as far as I'm concerned, you've just wasted four of my precious seconds while I read the body of your email and moved the message to the recycle bin.

Until, that is, I received an IM at home the other evening from my friend Casey, who I haven't spoken to in years. This IM, with no other text, contained nothing but a link to the video you are about to see. This video, with its deep subtext, short length and inspiring message truly made me a believer in the power of Youtube videos to unite us all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8SLTvA39xI

Speechless? I thought so.

Aside: Someone teach me how to embed a Youtube video like the cool kids do.

1 comment:

  1. heres a very simple tutorial: http://google.about.com/od/googleblogging/ss/embedyoutubesbs_3.htm

    sadly, i dont think i can put youtube videos in comments, because it wouldn't let me post this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iVPyJ1viFE

    ReplyDelete