Sunday, October 4, 2009

Coco - 30 years later...


Here's the deal...I have a huge following on this blog with the "tween" crowd, and when I said that I was excited to see the remake of Alan Parker's 1980 "Fame", they laughed and laughed. You see, to them, they think "Fame" was in the same vane as "Save the Last Dance" and the flood of other dance movies of the modern era. I'm here to tell you, kids, the original fame was raw. I mean raw. That film was a hardcore drama. Between the illiteracy, the homelessness, the difficulties of interracial relationships, coming to terms with homosexuality, the "Coco scene", the pregnancy and abortions...you name it...Fame had it. It was raw. But it was also a genuinely great film. The TV show and movie had a huge impact on all of us generation whatever-ers...so it was with reserved excitement that I went with my lady to see the remake.

If someone wanted a poster quote of this new movie from me, here's what I would give:

"Take everything that made Fame great, dilute with 99% water, release it as a film with the same name, and that is this movie!"

The "Coco" scene in the original Fame haunts me to this day. It is raw. I'll have a breakdown if I describe it...so suffice to say, Coco really, really wants to be famous. Coco's tears in that scene were dwarfed only by my tears watching that scene.

The modern version? Coco 2.0 walks into the "bad man's" trailer, and he is a little too aggressive trying to, literally, make out with her. When she resists, he lets her leave. My God that is powerful stuff! I'm sure had I stayed through the credits there would have been a scene where the "bad man" writes her a letter of apology and they become the best of friends. The original Coco is still crying...still waiting for her letter. It will never come.

In summation, the modern remake of the theme song is pretty sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment