Tuesday, November 17, 2009

On critiquing someone else's blog...

I stumbled across the article on the information superhighway entitled "Fanboys: 8 reasons why they deserve some respect."

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/fanboys-8-reasons-why-they-deserve-some-respect/a-2009111712333308004

For my less savvy reasons, a "fanboy" is defined (at least by me), as an internet poster who blindly defends his or her (his) console of choice with complete disregard for any and all common sense.

A PS3 fanboy would respond to the article "Call of Duty sells 2 million units on 360 and 1 million units on PS3" by saying "Well, D'uh...we're so busy playing PS3 exclusives we don't have time for 'crappy' multiplatform games like Call of Duty." They would then respond to the article "Activision shows PS3 leading Q1 profits over 360" by saying, "just goes to show that PS3 gamers love a quality multiplatform release like Call of Duty 2."

This is a horrible example...but I find the whole concept maddening. Note, this does not apply to the other definition of "fanboys", who rabidly and unconditionally love a product and buy everything the creators produce...I LOVE those fanboys. Love.

So...I'd like to put together a thoughtful and reasoned debate to the headings for the blog post I mentioned earlier in this post. Enjoy, dear reader, my detailed counter arguments to the 9 reasons why fanboys deserve respect:

Article Point 1: They're passionate about something they love and since when was that a bad thing?

Rebuttal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11_attacks

Article Point 2: The internet would be 62% less entertaining without them

Rebuttal: 62% of 0 is...anyone?

Article Point 3:They persistently make noise about actual, real issues that are important

Rebuttal: No. No they don't.

Article Point 4:Without them, there would be no one else to keep the spirit of old, long dead consoles burning so brightly

Rebuttal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Jaguar

Article Point 5: They pay attention to all the boring slides at E3 press conferences

Rebuttal: I like slides.

Article Point 6: Game communities would fade away faster without fanboys

Rebuttal: I disagree.

Article Point 7: Fanboys love it hardcore

Rebuttal: I don't know what this means, nor did I read the actual text of this article. Therefore, the argument is null and void.

Article Point 8: Let's face it - there's a little bit of fanboy in all of us

Rebuttal: On the other hand, did you think of the fact that we don't? Also, no.

As you can see, I have definitively proven my case, although with my superior argumentative skills and mastery of the language, it was hardly a fair fight.

1 comment:

  1. Nonsensical rebuttal to Article Point 8, otherwise, a literary masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete