Tuesday, March 2, 2010

On which we will begin using a new phrase...

While catching up on my evening "stories" (news), I came to a life-changing decision. Starting tomorrow, I will be referring to people periodically as "old sport." This classic English phrase popularized in Gatsby doesn't really seem to have taken hold in the 21st century, which makes it all the more ripe for reintroduction.

I do this from time to time...

Those of you who remember such classics as "like a fox" or "everything is coming up Millhouse" will note that it works to great effect. Basically, if one uses something enough, _everyone_ will start using it. I reference the recent trend of liberally overusing the word "literally" that took our office by storm. People, myself included, began using "literally" in literally the exact wrong usage. Often you'd hear things such as "If that happens again I will literally explode" or "I literally ate my weight in pork during lunch."

See you soon, Old Sport.

2 comments:

  1. I literally jumped out the window and died right after I read this post.

    See you tomorrow, Old Sport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's one from the distant past. ' Moo'. I would say it's from the 80's and it had secret and variable meanings.[An action word not an adjective} It was something of a jabroni invention.

    Moo,

    ReplyDelete